Prepare a 3–4-page report on nurse-patient communication in which you address types of communication, factors that influence the communication experience, and how the patient experience affects health outcomes. Recommend evidence-based strategies to improve nurse-patient communication and explain how the strategies consider patient demographics.
Nursing professionals do not only communicate with others within their organizations—often, they are also the first point of contact with patients. Thus, nursing professionals need superior communication skills to explain procedures and medication instructions, as well as to listen to what patients need to say.
By successfully completing this assignment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course criteria:
- Describe the concepts, processes, and tools required to conduct comprehensive health assessments for individuals, families, communities, and populations.
- Recommend evidence-based strategies to improve nurse-client/patient communication.
- Explain how nurse-client/patient communication strategies consider individual demographics.
- Explain the internal and external factors that can affect the health of individuals, families, communities, and populations.
- Describe the types of communication that occur between nurses and clients/patients.
- Explain the factors that influence the communication experience between nurses and clients/patients.
- Explain how the client/patient communication experience can impact health care outcomes.
Clark and Paraska (2014) suggest that understanding how people communicate is the first step in learning how to teach patients more effective methods of listening, self-awareness, and self-expression—and also in identifying barriers in communication. The process of communication can be difficult, as we can interpret meaning based on a variety of hidden messages—some conscious and intentional—some not.