Please select any nursing research article from any one of the scientific journals found in the Nursing-Related Data-bases and Reseach Journals list. Select an article from an area that you are interested in or from the field you are working in. Using the article selected, construct a critique of the article, 6 to 10 pages (including cover page and references).
The critique should
· identify the problem statement or statement of purpose of the article
· describe the participants being studied, stating inclusion and exclusion criteria
· discuss the sampling issues, such as probability or nonprobability and number of subjects used
· identify the study setting—where data collection occurred
· discuss informed consent—whether the participants were fully informed, how their consent was obtained, and any other ethical considerations
· identify the hypothesis or research question
· identify the research design—for example, experimental or nonexperimental; descriptive, exploratory, explanatory, or predictive?
· identify research variables, both independent and dependent
· comment the on article’s literature review—how the study data were analyzed (what statistical measures were used)
· describe the results of the study and appropriateness of the methods used; include study limitations
· accurately critique comments on level of evidence used, nursing theory, and implications for nursing practice or research
· discuss how the research findings can be applied to the clinical area
The following resources, in the week 4 Learning Resources section of the LEO classroom, will provide helpful guidelines for constructing a critique of a nursing research article.
· Framework for how to read and critique a research study: Research Article Critique.
· Vance, D. E., Talley, M., Azuero, A., Pearce, P. F., & Christian, B. J. (2013). Conducting an article critique for a quantitative research study: perspectives for doctoral students and other novice readers. Nursing: Research and Reviews, 3: 67–75.
· Cronin, P., Ryan, F., & Coughlan, M. (2008). Undertaking a literature review: a step-by-step approach. British Journal of Nursing, 17(1): 38-43.
The week 4 Learning Resources page lists resources that provide several guidelines for constructing a critique of a nursing research article you may find helpful. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact your instructor.